Thursday, October 7, 2010

Guest Post: Stephanie from Adventures in Babywearing on Babywearing Stories

What’s Your Babywearing Story?

Five years ago today, I became a “babywearer.”

During my pregnancy with my third son, I attended a La Leche League meeting to brush up and meet some Moms. Our lives and parenting views had changed a lot since having our first two children, so I was hungry for anything and everything au naturel.

I will never forget seeing one of the LLL leaders working the room in this fabulous contraption (a ring sling) and where could I get one I wanted it NOW.

I found a simple black ring sling on ebay for fifteen dollars. I practiced with it, and took it to our local natural parenting group’s meeting the night before Gray was born. I asked one of the midwives to show me “how to work it” and she grabbed her grandson and showed me right there.

(That midwife- Lynda- would become my homebirth midwife for my fourth baby, and later pass away suddenly soon after.)

I packed the sling in my hospital bag, and that night went into labor. I wore him the day he was born. (Five years ago, today.)

Eventually I decided to write a whole blog about my babywearing and mothering adventure.

And I haven’t stopped babywearing (or blogging) since.

Do tell me, what’s your babywearing story?

Be sure to visit Adventures in Babywearing and read Stephanie's past MK guest post here. Thanks, Steph! -- Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment