Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Parvati Breastfeeding Ganesha

Photobucket
The Hindu mother goddess Parvati feeding her son, the elephant-headed wisdom god Ganesha, artist unknown.

I thought I would post this image today in honor of the 5th anniversary of the passing of Jeannine Parvati Baker, mother of six, Yogini, midwife, herbalist, author, poet, and international activist on the matters of homebirth, unassisted childbirth and newborn rights issues.

As I'm sure you remember, Jen Samet wrote an excellent guest post here a few months ago which introduced me to Jeannine. Then, for my birthday, Jen gifted me a copy of the classic book, Prenatal Yoga and Natural Childbirth, which I have devoured over the course of the last few days. It is an instant favorite -- one of those books that I know I will refer to over and over again. Beyond inspirational, Prenatal Yoga and Natural Childbirth is an invitation to experience ecstasy right now, through enlightened sexuality, birth, and motherhood. I urge you to read this beautiful and transformative classic, and soon! Meanwhile, I am off to order a copy of another Jeannine Parvati Baker title, Conscious Conception, right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment