Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Notes on the Nest

So, since I've been prattling on about my fever-pitch nesting, I thought it would be apropos to post some photos of what I've been working on.  I'll start with the single room that I actually view as 95% finished:  the playroom/guest room/Kiddo's future bedroom.

We moved in to this apartment when I was eight months pregnant with the Kiddo.  As you can imagine, at that point my main concern was unpacking and purchasing the essential furniture for each room (we had very little furniture before we moved, and what we did have was pretty flimsy, disposable and dorm-y).  Just in the nick of time we got everything unpacked, although I cannot say terribly organized.  Before we knew it, the baby was born and the loads of baby stuff kind of inundated our home and and has not stopped since!  This is a wonderful problem to have, except that I never really established an infrastructure that would tame the madness that is toys and diapers and kid clothes.

And so, twenty months in and another baby on the way, I decided that I needed to really sort things out and make a place in the apartment that could accommodate all of the Kiddo's things in a sensible, usable way, and that would provide a haven and personal space for him at this time when he is about to experience more upheaval than he can imagine with the arrival of a sibling.  The Kiddo still sleeps with us, and there is no plan to change that anytime soon (unless he initiates a new arrangement) but I wanted to make his clothes and shoes and toys and books accessible to him and easy for all of us to put back in place.  

We already had the daybed, bookshelves, and rug, but there was no lighting, no storage containers, no closet organizers.  After sorting out and sending some things to Salvation Army, I purchased a few types of containers to start dealing with what was left.  Cardboard storage "suitcases"...

A wire container especially for holding the Kiddo's burgeoning collection of balls...

Super rad under-bed storage boxes (FYI, they're on sale!  Great product and a total steal)...

I also got helpful great stuff for the closet:  hanging shelves for clothes and shoes and colorful plastic kid-sized clothes hangers (I don't have a decent pic of these yet).  

At Ikea, we purchased a couple of cute lamps to illuminate things (like the painting next to the bookshelf that always reminds me of Basquiat, and the little end table that I brought in from our bedroom )...

Here's the view heading out of the room (the wall behind the daybed needs more art!)...

And a close-up of the awesome art that is already there; an assemblage by my father, created for the Kiddo in honor of his first birthday...

More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment