Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pregnant Pause

Photo from here.

When I last posted on Thursday, I really wasn't planning on taking the largest unannounced break from my blog to date -- it just kind of happened.  Blogging is funny:  I find that when I'm really into it, there is something totally compulsive about it...at one point in my brief blogging career, if I had already posted a couple of times in one day, I felt like I should do one or two more.  My more recent rhythm has consisted of feeling good about rising above the sleepy-tired-nausea and getting one post up a day -- wanting to but also kind of needing to as if driven internally to stay connected to this little piece of internet real estate. 

However, in the last two weeks I have felt physically better than I have in a few months and a stronger more biological force has taken over; a force is that is called Nesting.  Yes, it started out innocently enough with my mother's visit and our Ikea exploits, but in the interim it has become a case of full-blown, There-Is-a Child-In-My-Womb-And-I-Must-Get-Everything-Organized-And-Prettified-NOW Syndrome.  For a couple of days I ignored my nagging compulsion to blog so that I could focus wholeheartedly on the furniture-building, closet-excavating, junk-throwing-out, picture-hanging madness, and then something funny happened: I entirely lost the urge to blog!  

After a few days had gone by, I was all, "well now I can't just throw any old post up there!  I'll have to explain and analyze!" and then I was all, "hmmm, instead, let me organize all of our socks by color."  And now that six days have passed, you can see which activity won out!

So, here's the thing.  It was really nice taking that blogging break and devoting myself to something else for a while, and I'm really excited about the progress that has happened on the home front in the meantime, but bottom line:  I miss the daily fun and connection of blogging.  

In a way, I'm really glad to have unwittingly tested myself.  In the last week I have learned that I can just put down the laptop and walk away (my blog won't explode!).  But ultimately, I really am back and glad to be.

See you tomorrow, if not sooner ;)

Thanks for tuning in.

No comments:

Post a Comment