Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Return of Birth Story of the Week: Motherhood is a Gift Unlike Any Other

Photo via Dear Baby

Over the holidays I got out of the rhythm of posting weekly birth stories, so I am thrilled to be back with this feature, which I know is a reader favorite. The response to my call for birth stories has been wonderful, and I thank everyone so deeply for sending them in. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the sharing of these intimate and inspiring events, and I look forward to continuing this feature on my blog for weeks and months to come.

Today's story is one of my favorites. Contributed by Melissa of the wonderful blog, Dear Baby, this is a beautifully-written reflection on becoming a mother and the transformative act of giving birth. I also think Melissa's story goes a long way in showing the importance of knowing what you want in advance of your labor and creating a solid birth plan, as well as birthing in an environment in which that plan can be supported fully -- in this case, a hospital that has some very progressive, mama-and-baby-friendly practices.

Thank you, Melissa, for sharing this inspirational journey with us!

XOXO, Leigh

I’ll start this story at the moment my water broke. It was 2:45pm on Monday afternoon and Brent was taking a shower. I’d been hounding him to make a run to the grocery store with me to stock our cabinets before Everly arrived. I’d had mild contractions all day – but nothing significant and then, in a matter minutes, I went from bouncing on my big blue birth ball while answering email, to standing in the bathroom, leggings around my knees and staring at my husband in disbelief. There was no doubting what was happening – my water had broken and the impossible wait for our daughter had come to an end.

While Brent called our family and prepared the last items for our hospital bag, I went to work baking peanut butter cookies for the nurses in labor and delivery. He put on an old Wilson Pickett album and as music filled the house, I tried to steady my emotions. We had done so much, worked so hard, dreamed of this day and it was finally here. My contractions begin to get stronger and I was hit with a wave of emotions. I went into Everly’s nursery, leaned my head against her crib and sobbed. I said a long prayer to God and asked him to watch over Everly and I in the coming hours. I called my best friend Natasha and said “This is it. It’s really happening, I’ll call you when she’s here”

By this time, Brent had called our doula, Lindsay who had made her way over from the East Bay. My contractions were strong, but manageable and I leaned against the kitchen counter, rocking to “Hey Jude” on the record player and trying to focus myself. It was important to me to labor in the comfort and quiet of our house as long as possible. As my contractions grew stronger and closer together, I used my hypnobabies cds to stay calm and centered. Brent and Lindsay massaged my back and hips as I breathed through them. It was about 6:30pm when I felt they were getting so intense that I couldn’t breathe through them in comfort any longer. We climbed in the car and made the 15 minute ride through the Castro and Noe Valley to St. Luke’s Hospital in the Mission. The car ride was miserable as I had to sit upright, wearing a seat belt as each contraction rolled through my body. More than anything, I just wanted to get there and get centered on the task that lay ahead of me.

It was 7:00pm by the time I had checked in, undressed, and gotten settled in the labor and delivery room. Brent wrapped his arms around me and we swayed back and forth as I worked through each contraction. It is hard to really understand what a contraction feels like until you are in the middle of one. It isn’t like menstrual cramps, it isn’t a head to toe ache – it’s a deep, intense, active pain that rolled from my lower belly and spread through my body. Every contraction had a steady increase in strength, a peak, and then a merciful end – giving me enough time to gather my breath and courage to prepare for the next one...

To read the entirety of this gorgeous and moving story, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment