Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday Surfing

Photo originally for Vanity Fair, by Tim Walker, here. How adorable is Alber Elbaz, peeking out from behind those divine little watermelon-hued dresses he designed? This week I posted this and many other visual delights on my new blog, The Bean and The Bear. Visit, why don't you?

It has been quite a while since I posted a batch of weekend links, and meanwhile a bunch of interesting things I've discovered online have been piling up on my desktop. Well, it's time to share, kiddos! I hope you enjoy my first edition of Sunday Surfing (Birth Edition)...

Not only is Giselle Bündchen the new poster mama of home birth (saying she "wanted to be very aware and present during the birth...I didn't want to be drugged" Giselle describes the water birth of her son as "tranquil" and says it "didn't hurt in the slightest"), she also has nice things to say about breastfeeding on-demand: “In these first months, the baby breastfeeds twice in two hours or three times in three hours. It is really tiring, but it’s such a special moment that I am enjoying to the maximum...I have dedicated my days completely to him.” Read more, here.

Here is a really inspiring, happy story about a recent VBAC birth of triplets!

Ever heard of unassisted hospital birth? Well, it happened to this family when a busy hospital staff failed to respond to a father's calls for help from within their own maternity ward.

You must read this fantastic interview with the Director of the film, Orgasmic Birth.

Although these images are hard to look at (a warning: some could be triggering if you've had a traumatic experience with c-section), I am in awe of the artist's capability to channel her birth experience into extremely powerful and affecting artwork. Via Birth Cut.

More women in California are dying from pregnancy complications (the rate has tripled in the last decade). This article explores the possible affect that skyrocketing rates of induction and c-section have had on maternal mortality in that state. (Thanks to Marvelous Kiddo reader Alex for sending me that link!)

A new study shows that its OK to eat when you're in labor.

I love this roundup of great info concerning things to consider after your baby is born.

No comments:

Post a Comment