Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Is that you, Spring? It's me, Leigh.

We had another rocky weekend, health-wise, as W came down with what J and I had, and then he was quickly followed by Taro. It has been a rough 48 hours, and I am exhausted, but thank goodness both my littlest and my biggest guy now seem to be out of the woods. The sad irony of all this malaise is that the weather here in NYC has been spectacular -- an early and exuberant display of Spring -- but we have been apartmentbound, either sick or taking care of the sick. Yesterday, as the temperature reached 60 degrees and the birds sang joyfully, J spent almost the entire day in bed with his dad, watching cartoons :( Thank goodness it looks like another gorgeous day today, because I am determined to get outside with J and W and go to the playground. We need some fresh air and exercise, like woah.

J had my laptop monopolized yesterday, watching movies, so I spent more time than usual catching up on reading the good-old-fashioned printed word while I breastfed W. I ran across two articles that I can't stop thinking about, and I wanted to share them, here:

1) The New York Times ran an amazing, in-depth report about an Arizona hospital run by the Navaho Nation that has lessons to teach others about obstetrical care.

2) This week's issue of The New Yorker introduced me to the 25-year-old musical phenom, Esperanza Spalding (pictured above). I was riveted by her story, and I cannot believe I'd never heard of her! I'm downloading her album now. Also, she was homeschooled.

We're off to get some fresh air...
What are you up to today?

No comments:

Post a Comment