Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lentil Carrot Soup

Several weeks ago my mom sent me a recipe for lentil carrot soup that is so incredibly simple, easy and delicious that it has become a staple of our Winter diet. With only a few ingredients and hardly any prep time, I find myself returning to this soup whenever I need a warm, nourishing, pick-me-up. Since I'm fighting off a cold, I made a batch today, and decided to share it here:

4 large coarsely grated carrots (I use the grater blade on my food processor and it does the job in seconds).
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
3 cloves minced garlic
2-1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 pound of dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
3 quarts water
Juice of one lemon
1/2 Tbsp. dried thyme
1 Tbsp. salt (perhaps more to taste)
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Saute carrot, onion, and garlic in oil, until veggies are soft (around 5 minutes).
Stir in lentils, saute 1 minute.
Add water, bring to boil, reduce to simmer.
Cook uncovered over medium heat until lentils are very soft & soup has thickened, about 45 minutes.
Stir in lemon juice, thyme, salt & pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste.

This is especially good served with a wedge of lemon for an additional kick of flavor. Pair with a nice mixed green salad and some homemade cornbread. Total yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment