Wednesday, February 16, 2011

RIP Mothering Magazine

Photobucket
Photobucket
Dear Mothering,

I have been heartsick since hearing the news yesterday.

Not because I am to miss out on the remainder of my pre-paid subscription, but because Mothering is no longer in print.

Each issue is such a rare and beautiful gem of information, celebration, support, community. I have been inspired by it since I was a girl (I used to read my mother’s copies, back in the 80’s and 90’s) and I can attest to the fact that it influenced me positively in countless ways. As soon as I found out I was pregnant with my first child, over four years ago, the first thing I did was run out and order my own subscription. I have never thrown out a single copy, and I’m so glad I saved them. Each issue was a great resource that I return to again and again. I feel so grateful that this publication ever existed, and I feel privileged to have benefited from the wisdom within its pages for so long.

Rather than feeling slighted right now, I have to say that I am filled with regret that I didn’t order gift subscriptions for all my expecting friends when I still had a chance. I can’t imagine a better value: $30 for a priceless gift that keeps on giving through the years, even if only in the form of dusty old dogeared copies! A true treasure.

Thank you, Mothering.

Love,
Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment