Friday, February 18, 2011

Weekend Wonderful

Friday was shockingly, unbelievably warm here in NYC. After months of being cooped up inside the apartment while blizzards descend, I celebrated this first hint of (dare I say it?) Spring by taking the kiddos waaay down-and-across-town to East 14th Street to attend a toddler meeting of the La Leche League. I enjoyed communing with other breastfeeding moms while the boys made some new friends. In the months between my visits to La Leche League meetings I always forget how restorative and empowering and energizing it is to be in the same room with a bunch of moms who are committed to nursing their older babies and children. It just feels so nice to be able to laugh and question and share challenges in a safe, encouraging environment of like-minded mamas. It does the soul good.

Afterwards, we headed to lunch at Angelica Kitchen where we devoured some delicious vegan vittles, followed by a quick pop into Stogo for desert, and then we were off to the playground at Tompkins Square Park, where it seemed that every single resident of the East Village had converged with their offspring to revel in the unseasonably balmy weather. The swings were in such demand that when we finally got our chance at one, we had to double up (see above photo)!

Once the guys were zonked, we took a stroll around the neighborhood. With two sleeping kids, I couldn't resist grabbing a snack at Momofuku Milk Bar. I figured a little splurge on one of their insanely decadent, salty-sweet Compost Cookies was somewhat justifiable after my super-healthy lunch ;) Of course, I had to ask for a sample of their French Toast soft serve ice cream while I was paying for the cookie, eeps!

By the time Walker was waking up from his luxurious nap in the Boba, it was time for Taro to be off work, so he came downtown and met all of us for dinner at Cafe Orlin, on Saint Mark's Place.

After our meal we took a circuitous route home, walking west through Washington Square Park and jumping on the C train to return to the UWS. Once home, everyone except for yours truly promptly passed out from blissful, NYC-induced exhaustion. I would've gone to sleep too, but someone has to blog about our adventures for posterity!

With such a fun start to the weekend, and other good times in store, I'm looking forward to the next couple of days.

What manner of fun things are YOU up to this weekend? I'd love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment