Thursday, August 27, 2009

We Were All Marvelous Kiddos: Vintage Baby Photos, Part 3

That's right, it's time for another installment of my wonderful reader's fabulous baby photos! Thanks to all for continuing to send in the fun snapshots and stories. I look forward to seeing more soon, so keep sending 'em!
First, we have a great photo sent in by my dear friend (and cousin!) Laurel. This is one of my favorites because it shows little baby Laurel with her great grandmother, Nettie, who was also Taro's great grandmother! Here's what Laurel said about the picture:

"When i was born, Nettie was 89 years old and quite ill in the hospital. The story my parents told me growing up was that everyone thought she was dying...but when she learned that her first great-granddaughter was born she made an amazing recovery and lived for about four more years. I was always REALLY proud of that when i was little! I think i was about two months old when this photo was taken and this was the first time we met."

These next two were sent in by Haley, of Trickster-Belle. Here's what she had to say:

"The first one is of my brother and I when I was around two. I’m in the bucket. That was just the start of our comic dynamic. The second one is about a year later when I’m making chicken and dumplings with my Granny. That recipe has been handed down the maternal line as far back as I can find. My favorite part was flattening out the dough and cutting it into strips with the pizza cutter. My Granny went with Jesus about nine years ago and these are some of my most treasured memories of being with her."

My friend Mikiodo sent in the next two cuties, along with these words:

"My parents took a ton of baby pics; it's no wonder I became a photographer. These two make me laugh, and they represent 2 things I love: sweets and animals."

Thanks to reader Heather for sending in this adorable shot of her as a baby with a bunch of kids on a log! Looks like fun times!

Two of my favorite photos so far came from my friend Rachel. The first one, especially, is so tender -- it just really moved me. Rachel's words added to the beauty:

"I cherish any photo of me and my mom I can get my hands on. Having lost her when I was 20, I appreciate greatly the importance of photographically documenting your time with your babies as much as possible. For me, these photos serve such a powerful role and I deeply regret that they became rare during my adolescence. It's amazing to see the parallels between the way in which my mom and I bonded and how my daughter and I bond. I largely credit the extended breastfeeding my mom offered me for our close relationship."

Thanks to everyone who participated! Keep those vintage photos coming! Meanwhile, don't forget to enjoy Parts 1 and 2 of this series...

No comments:

Post a Comment