Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Andrew Goldman's Response

Note: After I posted my thoughts on the New York Magazine article profiling Cara Muhlhahn, I received the following correspondence from the reporter who wrote the story, Andrew Goldman. I am sharing it here at his request.

Hi Leigh,

I checked out your blog because it recently popped up in a Google alert, and I discovered your post about your disappointment in my story. I'm sorry you didn't like it. I wrote it and I'm comfortable defending every word of what appeared on the pages of the magazine. I think your comments regarding the tenor of our conversation is inaccurate though, and even though it's not something I've ever done before, I'd be happy to meet with you and share both my reasons for asking you ever question I asked, and to demonstrate to you with the recording of our conversation that the interview was indeed about Cara and homebirth midwifery and your thoughts and feelings about it. As I'm sure you realize, 99% of what a writer hears in an interview ends up on the cutting room floor; your critique of my interview is a bit like a critic coming into your studio and reviewing your scrap metal, but my reputation is important to me,
and despite what you seem to think, I went into my own birth experience both open to the idea of home birth and impressed both by Cara Muhlhahn and argument that BOBB presented for HB. So, up to you.

Yours truly,
Andrew Goldman

No comments:

Post a Comment