Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Kramer on Breastfeeding

Photobucket
Self-Portrait Breastfeeding Raloon, after Ambrogio Lorenzetti.
Marjorie Kramer, 1976, oil on canvas, 36 x 22 inches.

"I was very struck with the intimacy of the Lorenzetti painting in Siena with a kicking christ, also with an Utamaro print of a mother and child with the baby drinking out of one nipple and holding the other. I wanted to show that the wonderful child, perhaps savior of the world could be a female.This me and my daughter Raloon when she was about 18 months old as I recall. We used to go to the Metropolitian Museum of Art and she would point and smile at the babies in the paintings, especially nursing babies."
--Marjorie Kramer

Quote and image via Art in Context.
Thank you to Jen for letting me know about this fantastic piece and artist!

No comments:

Post a Comment