Monday, September 13, 2010

Guest Post: Anna from Rummey Bears on Pregnancy and Birth After Infertility

I am so honored to be guest posting on one of my favorite blogs – Marvelous Kiddo – as Leigh's birth story is what inspired me to have a home birth of my own. See those chubby little legs up there? Born in water on the living room floor.

Having an all natural birth was one of my proudest moments. Ever.

Before I fell pregnant with my daughter I had serious issues with my body. I had not had a period in over three years. Due to polycystic ovaries doctors told me I would have trouble falling pregnant. I went to see an endocrinologist and test after test could not explain why I was not menstruating. I was living in London at the time, working as a designer in a busy ad agency and although I tried to lead a healthy lifestyle my poor bones were stressed.

My partner and I decided to move back home to Australia. I felt relaxed as soon as I stepped off the plane and within 4 days we had conceived. I had no idea I was pregnant until I was almost 8 weeks. Not having periods was normal but my sudden distaste for coffee had to be questioned. Not to mention a huge love for ketchup like I have never, ever felt before.

We were over the moon but part of me was terrified that something might still go wrong. It took a while to feel relaxed about the pregnancy. My partner dropped the hint a few times about home birth, and somehow I stumbled upon Leigh's birth story on here. That was the start of me beginning to believe in my own body. I read all of Ina May. Sheila Kitzinger. Michel Odent. I surrounded myself with positive tales. I started seeing an osteopath, who believed my lower back was so rigid I would have trouble birthing. She kept this to herself and continued to treat me. There was also concern that my blood pressure was so low I may pass out. I was never afraid of pain, but I was concerned about my endurance levels.

My labour went for 7 hours. I surrendered and trusted my body would know what to do. It did. There were no complications.

P.S. (From Leigh): Anna is one of those people that, although she lives half-a-world away, I feel such a strong connection with. I adore her blog, and I hope we (and our kiddos) can meet one day! Read Rummey Bears for lovely, honest reflections on life as a new mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment