Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Guest Post: Jora from Domestic Reflections on Health Food Store Beauty

Hi there! I’m Jora from Domestic Reflections. I’m so happy to be here at Marvelous Kiddo. It is truly one of my favorite blogs. I was thinking about all the products I love and use from Whole Foods (and other health food stores). I dare say I like it more than the makeup counter at Nordstrom or Sephora. Here are some of my favorites:

Egyptian Magic. This skin cream claims to heal just about every skin ailment. I can attest to that, but it is a wonderful moisturizer. You warm it up in your hands until it liquefies, and then spread it wherever you need a little hydration (or put it on scars, eczema, stretch marks, bug bites…the testimonials mention just about everything!). The ingredient list is awesome: Olive Oil, BeesWax, Honey Bee Pollen, Royal Jelly, Bee Propolis and Love.

Burt’s Bees Buttermilk Bath Soak. It’s not just for babies! True, you could make this at home, but I love the scent and who can resist the cute milk bottle packaging?

Nature’s Gate Herbal Shampoo. This is one of those nostalgia items for me. My mom used this for years when we were little. Then I “rediscovered” it during a brief hippie phase in high school. I miss the old packaging however.

Jojoba Oil. This stuff is a great all purpose moisturizer/makeup remover/hair conditioner/massage oil. I read somewhere that you can actually use it to cleanse your face as well. It’s sort of counter-intuitive to clean with oil, but somehow I don’t break out and my skin does feel, well, clean after I use it!

Sweet Orange and Ylang Ylang Essential Oils. I’m not much of a perfume person (although I’m still try to find my signature scent!). In the meantime, I love dabbing a bit of sweet orange or ylang ylang essential oil on. If you aren’t crazy about these scents, check out the essential oil section at your health food store. I promise you will find something you like!

Weleda Skin Food. I love this stuff for face, hands, feet, wherever. It has a really nice faint orange blossom scent that my husband always comments on, which is always a bonus in my book.
Rachel Perry lip gloss. This is another nostalgia item for me. I think it is the only “makeup” item I was allowed to have until junior high. I felt so grown up carrying it around in my Hello Kitty purse. I love the grape juice flavor.

What are your favorite beauty items from the health food store?

P.S. (From Leigh): Jora's blog, Domestic Reflections, inspires me to live more authentically and elegantly. She has so much style and an equal amount of substance, and she balances them perfectly on her blog. Go there!

No comments:

Post a Comment